Chiayi Lumber Factory

It was completed in 1914 and was the most extensive official timber industry park occupied by the Japanese government during the Japanese occupation. It was the most advanced facility and technology in Europe and America at that time. It was responsible for storing the wood from the felling hills on Alishan and undertaking the processing of wood into "wood". Important task. Nowadays, the material industry is no longer in operation, but it still preserves many historical buildings and remains, as well as the vast green space that was once a cedar pond. It is a rare cultural and quiet field in Chiayi City.

History of Chiayi Lumber Factory

  • Lumber Factory

    Lumber Factory

  • Power room

    Power room

  • Drying room

    Drying room

  • Chiayi Lumber Factory

    Chiayi Lumber Factory

  1. In 1899, Japanese found out that there Alishan is abundant in forest resource. In 1906,
  2. The authority began the forestry on May 1912 and finished the construction of Alishan-Chiayi Railway on December. In 1913, government started to deliver the timber from Alishan. It also completed the timber yard and Chiayi Lumber Factory, including power room, sawdust room, and drying room in 1914. From then on, Alishan forest becomes a foundation of Chiayi forestry.
  3. The government stopped deforestation in 1963. Beimen Station, Forest Club, Forest dormitory, and limber factory are all be remained in Chiayi City. From 2009, authority has been devoting itself to “preserve, revive and reuse” these historical architecture.

Features of Buildings

  1. In 2002 the Chiayi City Government announced the sawmill, office, power room, sawdust room and drying room left by Chiayi Lumber Office, which was built during the Japanese colonial period, as "Bamboo Crafts Processing Plant Historical Buildings".
  2. The concepts of future space development have been drawn up according to the development functions and use patterns for forestry industry of each building. The detail table of all the buildings is as follows:

Historical Buildings

Watch the full table

Buildings Characteristics Structure
Machinery Factory The underground power system and the saw-timber machine base in the second-generation sawmill, including transport area, saw-timber area, and sawdust gathering area etc., were the most advanced automation equipment during the Japanese colonial period. With the outer wall buttress on the north side, the large window on the south side, the elevated roof vent in the center, and the large-span structure, the sawmill was the industrial cultural asset left in the early 20th century. Wood structure
Power Room It was the first SRC reinforced concrete building used as a thermal power plant in Chiayi City. It mainly provided power for the sawmill at that time, equipped with British steam boiler, American-made generator and other equipment. In 2009, it was renovated as a woodcarving exhibition hall, displaying 47 cedar wood carvings. RC
Office The wall bases were covered by flashings, with walls, in which there were large windows, covered with plaster. In the office there were different oil drums left during the Japanese colonial period. Wood structure
Drying room The drying room, the only dry concrete drying chambers in Taiwan, was complete with a flat square chimney, spandrels between beams and columns, wall vents, and earth floor, and the natural circulation of hot air was used to dry the wood. RC
Flue It was the smoke exhaust equipment of the power room. There was a flue made of brick connecting the power room and the chimney. The waste smoke discharged from the combustion chamber of the power room would pass through the flue and out of the chimney. It was 12-meter high and destroyed by Baihe earthquake in 1964, with only some remains left. Made of brick
Sawdust room The slant feed track was connected to the power room, and the sawdust was burned for generating electricity. The upper two slant plates inclined to the middle were supported by columns, without wall around the bottom of the building. RC
Baking room The room was eastward and consisted of four roofs connected with each other, with chimneys on both sides of the roof and water troughs on the ground of both sides outside of the room. Wood structure
Timber warehouse There were lattice windows above the gate and the warehouse was supported by a wooden truss. Wood structure
Four buildings in Yushan 2nd Village It contains special spaces such as vestibule, kitchen, passage, closet, storage and veranda. Wood structure

Unhistorical Buildings

Watch the full table

Buildings Characteristics Structure
Hand knitting factory In 1965, it was rebuilt as the second teaching center for labor education, and has been used as a bamboo handicraft processing factory since 1969. It is a rectangular building, 25 meters long from north to south and 9.3 meters wide from east to west, with large windows for lighting. Wood structure
Guard room The corner of the cornice plate is radial, and the window is U-shaped, with 180-degree viewing angle. Wood structure

Information

Location

No. 4, Linsen E. Rd., East Dist., Chiayi City

Management unit

Alishan Forest Railway and Cultural Heritage Office, Forestry Bureau

Opening hours

Outdoor Space-Song of the Forest opens 24 hour Indoor Park-Reservation only

Altitude

31 meters

Area

13.64 hectares

Reservation
+886-5-2779843 #240
TOP